Facial care has not been just for women for a long time. Fortunately, because why shouldn't we keep our skin as optimal as possible? Look, fortunately we have the advantage that our skin gets old later. In addition, it is always said that men get more handsome as they get older. But this does not mean that we should not take care of older skin.
We dare to put our hand in the fire that the 'grey foxes' like George Clooney, David Beckham and Robert Downey Jr. also use an extensive facial care . So let's dive into the details of older skin and how you can best care for it.
How do I know if I have aging skin?
To start with facial care, it is always useful to knowwhat skin type you have. Every skin type has its own characteristics, and so does older skin. Do you recognize yourself in (most of) the points below? Then you can conclude that you have older skin.
- Crow's feet
- Thinning skin
- Dry skin
- Skin pigmentation
- Skin irritation
- Sagging skin (especially on the neck, eyelids and cheeks)
Do these points sound very familiar to you? Then you have older skin. Don't worry, you can do something yourself to counteract and slow down the natural process!
Why do you have aging skin?
Whether you have good genes or not, every skin ages in time. But there are quite a few things that speed up or stimulate this process. We'll walk them through with you.
Decrease cell renewal
As you get older, cell renewal in your body slows down. An important body protein also decreases as a result, namely: collagen. Collagen is extremely important for your skin because it keeps your skin elastic, firm and radiant and ensures that the moisture level in your skin remains balanced.
As soon as your collagen production decreases, you will become weaker and less even. This causes wrinkles, grooves, etc. to form in your skin and will droop more.
Stress is actually a culprit for everything, including your skin. For example, it has been scientifically proven that stress accelerates the aging process of your skin. Prolonged stress releases more radicals that want to break down your genetic material. The cells will therefore stop dividing sooner, with the result: skin aging. Cortisol (the hormone released during stress) also attacks collagen in your skin.
Smoking and alcohol
It is common knowledge that this lifestyle is not good for your body at all. When you smoke, you ingest nicotine. Nicotine is known to constrict blood vessels. So also the blood vessels in your face. Oxygen, nutrients and vitamins are therefore not optimally absorbed in your face.
Looking at alcohol doesn't make you happy either. Alcohol dehydrates your body. This can also affect your collagen, which will cause your skin to dry out faster and form wrinkles.
Let's not forget this one. The sun is (unfortunately) the biggest cause of aging skin. UV radiation is the most harmful to your skin when we talk about skin aging. This damage to your skin is also irreversible. Exposure to the sun can dry out your skin. Always protect yourself with at least an SPF factor 30, but preferably an SPF factor 50 for your face.
Tips for men with aging skin
So eventually we all have to deal with aging skin. And let's face it, every age has its beauty. But of course there are tips to keep your skin as young as possible for as long as possible.
- Protect your skin from the sun. As we just mentioned, UV radiation is the biggest culprit for your skin. That is why we recommend that you always apply sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun. Not only when it is sunny, but also when it is cloudy. Not only in summer, but also in autumn and winter. In this way you protect your skin and sun damage can be prevented, so choose a face cream with SPF or a good sunscreen with a high factor.
- Leave out nicotine. If you don't smoke, good for you. Otherwise, we advise you to stop. That way your collagen is not attacked and you do not affect the elasticity of your skin.
- Eat healthy! We can't say it often enough, but good skin radiates from within. If you eat a lot of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, these will eventually also end up in your skin. Proteins and fats are also an important part of healthy skin. So make sure you eat healthy and varied food.
- Rest, regularity and sleep. The natural counterparts of stress. That way you ensure that your skin can relax again. Sleep is extremely important for the skin, because it repairs itself during the period that you sleep. Without the stress hormone cortisol, your collagen also remains healthy. And we now know how important collagen is for the skin!
- Use a firm day and night cream. There are of course a lot of creams on the market. But for mature skin it is important to use a cream that has been specially developed for this. For example, almost all anti-aging creams contain hyaluronic acid, which ensures the correct hydration and niacinamide ensures that your skin stays smooth. So always check the ingredients and how they work.
- Do facial yoga or connective tissue massages . Yes friends, it exists. But it has actually been proven to work. With facial yoga you train your facial muscles so that they remain flexible and elastic. The result? A higher collagen production in the skin of your face. Connective tissue massages can also be done at home. It is a heavy-handed massage that focuses on strengthening your skin and making fine lines disappear. It all looks special, but the result has already amazed several men. Try before you die.
- Drink enough water. Our skin is our largest organ. Organs are made up of cells. Cells consist of water. And so the circle is complete. Water removes waste and that is why it is important to drink enough (about 1.5 to 2 liters of water per day).
Have a good facial skin care routine. Facial care and its steps are very important for the quality and firmness of your skin. Of course we will explain that further below!
How do you care for aging skin?
1. Cleanse with an oil-based facial cleanser
The first step in facial care is always a good cleaning, and therefore also for mature skin. However, it is important to look at the type of cleaner you should use. For example, it is recommended for mature skin to use an oil-based facial cleanser.
An oil-based cleanser won't strip your skin of its natural oils, so it won't dry out further. Therefore, always use a cleanser that is not too intense. Natural oils in the mild cleanser nourish the skin and moisturize dull spots. And that's exactly what you want for your skin!
- Cleanse your face with lukewarm water
- Grab a little cleanser and gently massage it into your face
- Massage with circular movements
- Rinse the cleanser again with lukewarm water
- Pat your face dry with a clean towel
2. Use a tonic
A good tonic (also called toner ) provides a bit of preparation for the other products from this routine. In addition, it restores the PH value of your facial skin. A good toner for mature skin will boost your skin's elasticity and reduce fine lines.
- Put a little tonic on a cotton pad
- Dab the cotton swab over your face
- You can just leave the tonic on your face
3. Use a scrub once every 3 days
You don't have to do this every day, but it is important to keep track of it. With a mild facial scrub you remove the dead skin cells, which stimulates the skin to produce new cells. This cell division allows your skin to better absorb the workable substances of your skin care.
- Make sure your skin is wet
- Grab some product and start gently massaging into your face
- Massage with circular movements from the inside out
- Wash off with lukewarm water
4. Use a day cream or night cream for men
Time to apply your day cream or night cream . It goes without saying that you also have to take a good look at the ingredients and how they work. Anti-aging is the magic word you're looking for for the right day and night cream.
- Remove your cream from the jar or packaging with a spatula or clean hands
- Apply the cream to your face
- Gently massage in with circular movements
- Start in the middle and work outwards
- Avoid the skin around your eyes
- Let the cream absorb into your skin during the day / night
5. Eye care
This step is especially important for mature skin. The skin around the eyes often becomes slack and dull faster than the rest of the skin. Facial care is often used around the eyes because they are so vulnerable. That is why it is important to give some extra attention to your eyes and to apply an eye cream .
- Apply a small amount to your fingertips
- Gently pat around the eye area
- Wait for it to soak into your skin
Use a face mask about 2 to 3 times a week to give your skin extra hydration, refresher and deep cleansing. Choose a mask that restores your moisture balance and softens wrinkles.
- Apply a thin layer to your face (avoid your eyes)
- Let the mask dry gently without touching it
- Rinse with lukewarm water
The best products for aging skin
It is always difficult to find the right product among all the products that can be found on the market. That is why we like to think along with you. We've taken a hard look at the right products for mature skin and have filtered out our favorites here:
- Cleanser: Grown Alchemist - Gentle Gel Facial Cleanser
- Toner: Dermalogica - Antioxidant Hydramist
- Scrub: Revitaltrax - Purifying Bamboo Charcoal Face Scrub
- Mask: Revitaltrax - Hyaluronic Sheet Masks
- Moisturizer: Grown Alchemist - Age-Repair Intensive Moisturizer
- Day Cream: Jaxon Lane - Relax And Repair Anti-Aging Face Moisturizer
- Day cream with SPF: Revitaltrax - Q10 Anti-Aging SPF Day Cream
- Night Cream: Medik8 - r-Retinoate Intense® Night Cream
- Eye Cream: Grown Alchemist - Age-Repair Eye Cream
Of course we hope that we have helped you a lot further in your search. Do you still have questions? Please contact us because we are happy to help you! You know where to find us.
Your friends, The Alpha Men